Guia comercial de Albacete Tourist services ALBACETE Albacete
Guia comercial de Albacete Tourist services ALBACETE Albacete

The Abelardo Sanchez Park is the largest urban green space in the Spanish city of Albacete,

120 000 square meters (12 ha), and the second oldest (after Jardinillos Park), which makes "The Park" par excellence of the city. Located in the heart of the capital, it is the largest urban park in Castilla-La Mancha. It is one of the most significant places in the city of La Mancha.

History

During the plenary session of the City Council of August 23, 1910 the construction of a park south of the city was decided, and whose construction would begin on February 23 next year. Construction work involved planting 12,000 pine trees and over 400 different species, with a total cost of 31,788.68 pesetas. The mayor at that time was Abelardo Sanchez. At first, it was called "Park of Canalejas" in tribute to Jose Canalejas, President of the Spanish Government, assassinated by an anarchist in 1912.

During the Franco regime, it was renamed "Martyrs' Park" until the arrival of democracy was baptized with its current name, "Abelardo Sanchez Park" after the mayor who promoted its construction.

Between 1968 and 1978 it was built the Museum of Albacete on the former Swan Pond.

The November 17, 2002, Parque Abelardo Sanchez was reopened after a controversial remodeling that lasted eleven months (during which the Park was closed) in which numerous improvements were made, but also carried out the felling of 378 pines. During this reorganization, also it moved the Monument to the Fallen (dated back to 1940) to the Cemetery of Albacete.

Location

Currently, the Abelardo Sanchez Park is fully integrated in the city of Albacete, in the heart of the capital, although when it was built was almost cut it. It is similar to a right triangle shape widened by the hypotenuse. Indeed, these sides would be the Avenue of Spain, Archangel Gabriel Street and Paseo de Pedro Simón Abril; and vertices, Plaza de Gabriel Lodares, Benjamin Palencia Plaza and Estrella Street.

Flora and fauna

Abelardo Sanchez Park has been called numerous times as "the lung of Albacete". It is characterized by its large and tall pines, for bananas that line the main boulevards and a wide variety of species found in smaller numbers. There are rose gardens, and as trees and unique shrubs, we can find the horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum), Plum Garden (Prunus cerasifera), cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), Arizona cypress (Cupressus arizonica), fig (Ficus carica), elderberry (Sambucus nigra) and privet (Ligustrum lucidum), among other species. Nevertheless, there are few signs indicating the species growing in the park, although in 2000 small posters that were vandalized placed. Some sectors recommend planting native species characteristic of the province of Albacete as Austrian pine, oak, oak, broom, maple Granada and Montpellier, the Maritime pine, broom ... with the appropriate signs for awareness of the smallest of its importance.

As for the wildlife, besides pigeons, doves, sparrows and more or less common in most urban parks pigeons, also we found tree creepers, blackbirds, goldfinches, robins and many other birds. You can consult the book "Birds of Abelardo Sanchez Park," Africa Gomez Gomez, for more information. In this park you can see red squirrels climbing trees and eating the abundant pineapples growing in the pines. We also found ducks in the pond that is in line with the long fountain.

Inside the Park

Abelardo Sanchez Park is organized around two broad woodlands, walks perpendicular to each other. The central promenade of the Plaza de Gabriel Lodares and reaches the Temple of Music, parallel to Paseo de Pedro Simon Abril. The ride side of the Avenue of Spain, near the Plaza Benjamín Palencia, and ends on the esplanade in which it crosses the central promenade, where the San Fernando Public School is located.

Fountains, ponds and sculptures

There are several sources that decorate the Abelardo Sanchez Park. Of these, the greater the Long Source, which is situated in line with a pond that is home to numerous ducks.
Until 1968 there was the Swan Pond, located in the present location of the Museum of Albacete.
Other smaller sources located in the park are sculptural sources and calls Fountain Fountain Mirror Naked, and called Fountain Vase.
Throughout the history of the Park busts they have dedicated people of importance for the city. This is the case of the bust of Saturnino Lopez (work of Ignacio Picazo in 1929), who allowed the bringing water to the city with the assignment of the spring of the Eyes of San Jorge, his property to the city; and bust of Miguel de Cervantes, 1948; Azorín and bust, the work of Andrés Shopkeeper 1965.

Public School San Fernando

Very close to the Paseo de Pedro Simon Abril, but inside the park, particularly in the resulting esplanade of the crossing of the two main boulevards, is the old Chalet Buenos Aires, built in 1924, and in 1957 became the College San Fernando public function continues to do.

Museum of Albacete

Located parallel to the Archangel Gabriel Street starting from the Plaza Benjamín Palencia, but fully integrated into the park, is the Museum of Albacete. This museum was built between 1968 and 1978 by the architect Antonio Escario, within the denominated style organic architecture. With construction Old Swan Pond, located in the same place now occupied by the museum it was destroyed.

Inside are two permanent exhibitions of archeology (with valuable materials from archaeological sites across the province, from the Paleolithic to the first centuries of our era), and other works of the painter Benjamin Palencia barrajeño.

Children's Traffic Park

Inside the park, but the edge of the street Archangel Gabriel, is the Children's Traffic Park, consisting of a cycling track signposted. It is managed by the local police, agents and volunteers still controls, where taught driver education classes.

Other facilities

Besides those already mentioned, in the park you can also find the Kids Park, the Hall of Nature, a bandstand, a kiosk loan of publications (in summer), 15 a children's library, a room for stray dogs and a cafeteria.

Environment

With the creation of the "Park of Canalejas" in 1911, the city was extending along the street Gallego Ctesiphon, and the avenues and boulevards that acotaban the Park.
In the Plaza de Gabriel Lodares (then Plaza de Canalejas), union city with the park down the street Tesifonte Gallego, are built the current headquarters of the CCM (in 1920, Ramon Casas Masso), the Villa Arturo Cortés (in 1920, Daniel Rubio Sanchez, current Delegation of Defense), the Casa de don Canciano López (1921, July Carrilero demolished and replaced by another building), and Archillas House (in 1926, Buenaventura Ferrando Castells ). In the center of the square in 1916 installed the Fountain of the Frogs, dedicated to Dionisio Guardiola, until 1935, the year that is removed. Today, the font is installed at the junction of the Freedom Rides and Cuba Avenue and Mayor Conangla.16
During the first third of the twentieth century, the environment of the park, especially the Paseo de Pedro Simon Abril, is built with numerous villas eclectic and modernist style. Few examples are still standing, noting the already named Villa Arturo Cortés (in Plaza de Gabriel Lodares), the Chalet de Fontecha (current headquarters of the Chamber of Commerce, at Ctesiphon Gallego, 1922 and Carrilero and work of Julio Manuel Muñoz), and former Commissioner of Simon Abril, on the corner of Paseo de Pedro Simón April with the street Maria Marin (1929 and work of Francisco Fernandez Molina).
IES Bachiller Sabuco is built between 1923 and 1931 in the Avenue of Spain according to project Carrilero July and Manuel Sainz de Vicuna, and from the beginning, has been dedicated to its role junior high or high school. Next, between 1956 and 1957, the Civil Government, Prefectures current builds.
Throughout the second half of the twentieth century would be built high-rise buildings (up to 17 heights) on the Avenue of Spain, Paseo de Pedro Simon Abril and Street Archangel Gabriel, in many cases, and similar to what happened in the nearby street Gallego Ctesiphon, replacing buildings constructed during the decade of the twenties